Sunday, July 24, 2005

Smart People Are Stupid



I couldn't sleep last night and spent way too much time exploring the blogger.com realm of the world wide web. I encountered a couple really well written, original and insightful blogs that shamed me and Serena Abroad.com. These were writers-- like me, who are actually using their blog to write. I know, but the obvious tends to escape me at times.
Contary to my last statement, I am of above average intelligence (and modest to boast), but I don't have a talent for anything in particular. I like Math; my obsessive-compulsive brain is calmed when forced to do long, drawn out equations. There is an order that I find safe and calming. But math is too confusing for my dyslexic and ADD mind and my self-defeating personality gets frustrated and gives up. Science I love. I love biology--especially genetics, atoms and other small things not visible to the human eye (bacteria, virus, cells, ect.) and I love Science Fiction (no sci-fi here, please). I love to read. I love literature, plays, not so much poetry, and even good magazines. But, I am not a one of those recreational readers who can recite several meaningful passages/quotes from the book and-- here's the kicker, retain them for eternity. I rarely remember the author's name (unless they are very famous or the book was particularly spectacular). I was raised on television (and I am living proof that it is an addictive medium that should be much more closely regulated by parents). When not with my nanny, I was supervised by the t.v. and allowed to watch whatever I wanted. Thanks Mom and Dad, by the way, I am stll, to this day, scared of Trolls--both the sad excuse for a horror movie and the mythical creatures.
In fact, my parents thought I was some kind of savant when I was little because I had a freak encyclopedic knowledge of television and film (in particular of the cheap 1980's B genre), most of which is now lost in the haze left lingering from the cocktail of perscription drugs I injest every morning. But, in truth, movies and television were my domain. I was in charge and could escape to any world I wanted with the click of my remote.
So, there are many things I am okay at, many things I enjoy, but nothing that sets me apart or makes me feel particularly prideful, and I really felt inadequate while surfing last night (maybe I should wait a few days before taking my USB for another ride). On the flip (I know, very cool and effortless use of hip, if slightly dated slang), I ran into some awful blogs: illiterate, politically extreme, cutters, pedophiles, photographers lacking skills in photography, ect. That made me feel much better. You see, I am completely aware that there is no real need for my blog (it's truly the ultimate form of self-indulgence), and I am okay with that. In fact, as much as I don't expect anyone to care, let alone read some of my more dry postings, I love getting your comments. Comments, comments, comments!-- like Candy, Candy, Candy at Halloween*.
Umm...so, yeah. Just a few thoughts.

And here's a Deep Thought/travel tip:
If you drop your wallet into a river of molten hot lava, don't jump in after it. Because, man, it's gone.

*Hope you're all familiar with the comic stylings of Jerry Seinfeld.

1 Comments:

Blogger Serena said...

It has been brought to my attention that Serena Abroad.com is a misnommer b/c this isn't a .com, but, in fact, a .blogspot.com. You know what, for about 5 secs I actually considered changing the title, but, I really don't care. I am fully aware that this site's address is not SerenaAbroad.com. Indulge me, it is simply indicative of the fact that I am now on the world wide web. If it is such an egregious error in your eyes, don't look.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home