Monday, July 25, 2005

Layer Cake, ummm, Cake.

Today, while out running errands, I saw Layer Cake. It's a new film out of the UK with one of my new favorite actors Daniel Craig*. I saw him in The Mother last year and I thought he gave a spectacular performance (overall, an amazing film) and when I heard he was touring the festival circuit with this film, I knew I had to see it. He is both our narrator and nameless main character. He is a drug dealer about to retire with millions when things (as they tend to in all of the modern gangster dramas coming out of the UK) go farcically bad. Craig gives strong performance, and just like its counterparts, the film features a mad, edgy score/soundtrack, hot photography, and humourously dark death scenes. Was it better than some of its predecessors? No, but it was smarter. The script and plot-- even for the jaded film student offers a few nice surprises, strong dialogue and great characterization, but features a less than stellar ending that felt a bit forced-- filmed to somehow shock the audience and give the script a bit more of a realistic, credible feel. Right, because that always works.
I give it 4 out of 5 Etoiles. Go see it.

If you've seen it, I would love to hear what you thought.

* For more info of Craig or Layer Cake or any other film for that matter, see Int'l Movie Database link at right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home