Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Quatre Fantastique


What to say? Ioan Gruffudd was in it--possibly it's only redeeming quality (okay, it has the Commish, too, but I don't think we are allowed to call him it now that he plays good cop/bad cop on The Shield). I had heard so many awful things about this film, that my expectations had been drastically lowered (I was also not too familiar with the comics, and ran no risk of disappointment in that sense). So I didn't hate it. I didn't love paying 7 euros to go see it-- which by the way is about 40 US dollars.
This film...what to say? It was a mess--messier than my bedroom was the year my mom cancelled my birthday party (that one's for you Sue-Asian). Not enough character development-- they just got super powers, let's see a little less motor cross and a little more experimenting, humiliation, ect. They tried but fell very short. I didn't even get to the point where I actually cared about these people. They didn't earn the drama of friendship and love they forced down my throat.
Also, the villian just wasn't villainous enough. He wasn't even an asshole-- just had a god complex (which is pre-requisite for 'role of villain,' anyway).
The effects were cool, but weren't cool enough to carry the movie.
Little could've saved this movie. Dommage.
Also, the Commish, playing a mook from Brooklyn "who does the walkin" and the Human Torch were both supposed to have (at one time in the movie's timeline) worked for NASA. What? There characters (again, in the movie-- I don't know the comics) were played as idiots-- but apparently, they are NASA idiots.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?


* I couldn't find a french version of this poster. English will have to do.

8 Comments:

Blogger Forzavryheid said...

I LOVED the cartoon version of the Fantastic Four, but I have never been a big fan of Comic Books turned into movies though.

Why? because its like the new Star Wars movies, their focus is too much on the Special Effects and not on the actual plot/storyline or character development as you point out. Which makes them CRAP. throw in a bit of product placement/marketing in the background and BINGO you have your super hero movie. I'd even rate the old Superman movies higher than the rubbish they pump out these days.

Not even Jessica Alba can make me watch that movie. Maybe if they put in Jessica Simpson instead... Mmmmmm...Jesss-i-caaaa... : )

4:46 PM  
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

I haven't seen it... but to say NASA wouldn't hire an idiot is unfair.

Moron at NASA: There's something wrong with the space shuttle.

Other Moron: Yup... it was built in 1981.

Moron: Oh, my crappy Ford was built in the 80's and all though I'd never drive it again, I'm sure it's space worthy.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

This might be too much information, but I suffered from la petite morte when I discovered more than 1,000 people have hit my blob! *squeal*
I am like the most popular girl EVER!

9:44 PM  
Blogger Gambl0r said...

What!! 7 Euro is equal to 8.66727 USD (according to XE.com!) and that is CHEAP for a movie in europe!!

$40!! Oh dear no!

However I enjoyed the movie itself.. Big F4 fan and have read a lot of the comics but I still enjoyed the movie. Was it a classic with great dialogue\plot\acting? HELL NO! But I didn't go to watch a movie that would fit in the same category as Goodfellas, I wanted something to switch off and watch for a few hours..

12:47 AM  
Blogger Serena said...

And, that, my friend, is why I didn't hate it.

Okay, kiddies. 15 pts. to the first person who knows how to pronounce the welshman's name.

1:07 AM  
Blogger loong said...

i love the show

5:27 AM  
Blogger Serena said...

And 15 pts. to Adeptus. Well done, well done, Adeptus.

12:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

$40 for F4 is awful Serena! can you rent movies there? F4 is a renter man!
Im in the mood for some angsty love story... any suggestions? Doesn't have to end happily either. Actor should be cute.

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home