Friday, August 05, 2005

Antici.......................pation

Yes, I am one of those. I love Harry Potter (HP); I love the books and I love the films. I don't know if I can wait for the 4th movie-- waiting for Book 6 has been hard enough (after finally finding an english bookstore in Paris that was actually selling the US Scholastic edition [the UK and the US have different editions-- different illustrations, different languages], I had to order one as they had already run out. It will be here by the end of the month!!!!). I am planning on making it to the UK to see HP4 in London opening weekend and make a huge, geeky, don't-look-at-me-that-way-lady-I-know-I'm-too-old-for-this-but-at-least-I-didn't-dress-up-Freak! sort of deal. But after being hurt by so many landmark franchises (Star Wars, The Matrix), I am terrified with each new installment that I will be disappointed. But, HP is not the only thing I spent today waiting for. I have been trying to attach a couple of photos to an e-mail for several hours-- they just won't attach. I don't understand. The photos are in a folder on my desktop, but I have also tried putting them on an internet file and attaching them from there. No luck. I am angry. I am inpatient. AAAARGH!
I had to wait until after 1 p.m to shower thanks to a very (ironically) smelly plumber who had no problem flirting with my neighbor and taking his sweet time fixing the drain--the sink drain-- there weren't any problems with the shower, but he still wouldn't let me in there! After a freezing cold night (fell asleep with the window open), I so wanted a hot, steamy shower. Dommage.
I also spent several hours today waiting for that oh-so-important e-mail that is still not in my inbox (if you are reading this--you know who you are-- stop! You owe me an e-mail!). It is one of those that the longer I must wait for it, the worse it will be to read. Sigh. But, I stopped waiting for it early this evening and decided to go for a walk. I walked the over to Montrouge and explored the city for a few miles.
Technically, Montrouge is not in Paris. But one must only cross a street to make the transition from city to city. Montrouge looks exactly like Paris-- only less dense. There is more green and it's less noisy. It is a mixture of modern, industrial and commercial buildings mixed with almost ancient apartments, houses, and parcs. It is still Paris in my book. It felt so great to get outside after confining myself in my tower for the last two days. The sun had begun to go down and a breeze picked up, making it very pleasant. The Friday night crowds had not yet emerged and the work traffic had already dispersed. It was exactly what I needed.
Then, I came home and immediately checked my e-mail (I never said I was strong, or very committed for that matter). Empty.
Now that I have no real responsibilities or...anything, really on my schedule, I find myself filling my downtime with anticipation of things to come: school in the fall, visiting friends before that, HP and several other movies I want to see, Christmas and winter in France, e-mails (HINT! HINT!), the new Camille CD to be released on iTunes USA, comments from all of you (HINT! HINT!), ect.

8 Comments:

Blogger Serena said...

I am also nerdirifically waiting for the HP4 flash site to be ready. It was supposed to be available to surfers on July 20 and is still 'under construction.'
AAARGH!

F.Y.I: Harry Potter & The Goblet Of Fire comes out in 92 days.

F.Y.I: and if that was of any interest to you, drop by The Sorting Hat.com to find out which Hogwart's house you're in!
I'm in Ravenclaw. I am also seeking help.

12:24 AM  
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

So, I've never read a Harry Potter book... but I'm a Ravenclaw.

1:58 AM  
Blogger Serena said...

Well, welcome...er, um to the club? I think that while we lack courage (Gryffindor) and that killer instinct (Slytherin), we're smart and funny. And I just so happen to be very pretty. ;)

3:12 AM  
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

The entire Harry Potter media experience has led me to not only uphold a personally publicized vendetta against the franchise (indeed I am one of THEM), but the recent frenzy for the “books” in North America makes me want to give up eating people all together. You can tell a Potter Purchaser, they taste bad. By the way what the hell is a "Slytherin"?

6:33 AM  
Blogger Serena said...

UC- you're breakin' my balls here, man.
Think of it this way: children are reading: it's a gateway series. And, for the first time in their lives, many high school and college students are reading, too!
Leave it to the publishing companies-- and the toy manufacturerers, MSNBC, and anyone else who stands to make a dollar with mass merchandising to completely run it into the ground. Being removed from that, I am able to enjoy the series for what it is: fun.
Anyway, I am surprised that you--of all peopel, Urban Cannibal--aren't willing to be more open minded!
Don't knock it 'till you try it.

10:12 AM  
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

Yeah, I was going to say something validating the wee ones picking up pages but I decided to drop a man-eating joke instead - how unlike me. I suppose I could be a little more open minded; now if you’ll excuse me I have a Bobby Burrito to tend to – which was ironically enough, harvested from the last open minded person I met.

2:40 PM  
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

Serena,

Wow. That hat is good. I am funny and pretty.

I'm really pretty.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Sonja said...

I heart HP! I'm currently #182 on the library waiting list for the book. I stubbornly decided not to buy any of the books until all 7 are out and I can buy a boxed set.
I'm NOT excited about the next movie cmoing out, though. I was extremely disappointed of movie #3 - book #3 is my favorite of the series, and the movie didn't do it justice. I must now go to the sorting hat to find out if I am funny and pretty as well. ;)

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home