Monday, September 19, 2005

Wearing my house.



Things I brought with me and can't use:
My iPod. It is broken and with it, I brought a cord to charge it, headphones and remote.
My cell phone. It should work. It is a European phone with Tri Band and a universal calling plan. But it doesn't.
My laptop. The battery is dead (didn't bring my spare), and I can't charge it for reasons unbeknownst to me (and the guys at the Apple Center).
My flip flops. They are leather and I can't wear them in the shower. Also, it's freezing outside and not sandal weather.
My beloved Air Rifts. I love these shoes so much, but refuse to wear shoes that my toes stick out of in public (however, I can't bring myself to throw them away and have tied them to the outside of my sack).

Things I brought with me and don't need but have used anyway:
My gortex jacket. It is a little bulky to carry around in case of rain (and I also brought my umbrella), but it is earning its keep as a neck pillow/blanket for those long bus rides.
My sleeping bag. I love, love my sleeping bag. And while I've been provided with sheets every where I've stayed, I prefer the warmth and comfort of my blanky...um, I mean sleeping bag.
My leather driving loafers. I wore them over on the plane because I like to dress nicely when I travel, but they are now squished into the bottom of my sac and I don't anticipate a need for them until I fly out again. Oh, I dunno. Maybe I'll wear them shopping in Dublin.

Things I wish I hadn't brought with me:
Full-sized bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and body gel. Travel size would have sufficed.
My beach towel. A hand towel would have sufficed.
Lysol brand wet wipes. They suds up your hands which actually creates more problems as I use them when I don't have access to water. Stick to brands you know and trust.
My Philosophy Skin Care line. It's bulky and because of all of the stress and changing environments/weather, my skin has broken out anyway. Cleansing cloths would have been more practical.

Things I wish I had brought:
Cold medicine. That's right, kiddos. Serena is sick. I have a mild fever, am coughing, sneezing and exhausted. Also, my sinus and ears are killing me. And, because I take medicine that doesn't like to play well with others, it is difficult to find over the counter remedies (apparently impossible in Ireland where all products are made from the one drug I can't have-- or so says the pharmacist).

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi I'm an american poetry who is trying to find out if my poetry can stand up across cultural lines and you can help me with this buy visting my poetry site and letting me know what you thunk. Please feel free to jump around the site and leave a comment anywhere within the site, even if you dont like my poetry let me know.
davidepatton.blogspot.com
Thank You
David

11:54 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

Uh-huh.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

Does my back pack kick ass or what? I love it. For the record: that is the Gregory Shasta in the color shown above.

11:57 PM  
Blogger JgStephan said...

Your entry reminds me of some of my experiences.
Many things have broken lately even repeatedly. I love my sleeping bag, too.

I hope you are fast fit again.
Get well soon!

12:00 AM  
Blogger The Dark Pig said...

Comfy stuff kicks ass for the lord...

If you can't love the stuff you want -- then love the stuff you brought.


---


Love the stuff you brought.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Sonja said...

I have a big backpack like that!!!
I'm also very excited about my sleeping bag because it is so tiny. I get a kick out of opening it up every time I, er, open it up.

This is the list I made whilst camping in Italy this summer; a list of things that I must bring next time:
1. 1 skirt and 4 pairs of shorts instead of vice versa.
2. small bottles of shampoo & shower gel
3. allergy and cold medications (does forgetting those make you an optimist by default?)
4. plane snacks
5. slim sly travel-wallet that you wear under your shirt (I have TWO of those and never remember to bring them)

2:41 AM  
Blogger Bobby said...

Hope you feel better soon.

I love the word gortex. Don't ask my why, I don't know. Neither does my therapist.

My online name would be gortex, if it wasn't already Bobby.

4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home