Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Gimme Some Sugar, Baby!


The gaunlet has been thrown down!
This morning around 9:30 a.m., while eating my muesli, I visited a few of your blogs. I should have been getting ready to meet up with my friend Patrick-- who I was scheduled to meet at 10:30 (I hadn't even gotten in the shower yet!), but I was wasting precious time surfing the blogger world instead (Spinning Girl knows what I'm talking about). I went to The Dark Pig, responded to his faux spammer note with one of my own, and from his site, I clicked the link to The Urban Cannibal.
I was surprised to see that even the zombie slut-lovin' UC was affected by the media whirlwind that was Brad & Jen and has now become Brangelina, but I must admit I paid little attention to his post after being issued a challenge:

"“Gimme some sugar, baby” – name that one Serena"

Now, I end most of my posts with a relevant film quote of some kind-- and I must admit, they've been pretty easy (however, only UC seems to be the only person either 1). interested in or 2). capable of answering them). Our little flesh feeder is currently leading with 30 pretend points, but today is the first challenge placed at my blogger feet; the first quote I've been asked to name. And FUCK! For most of you this is so ridiculously simple-- so obvious (see "Yo' Adrian," "May the force be with you," or "I see dead people"). But I read it over and over and continued to draw a blank-- completley clueless. I was stumped.
I couldn't believe that after all of the bragging I've done (on this site alone) about my freakish film fetish, I had no idea where this quote came from. It sounded so familiar-- I knew it somewhere, at one time-- but when? Where?
Obviously, it was spoken by a man to a woman... The Ladies Man with Tim Meadows? No, too obvious and not really UC's style. Okay, what is UC's style? Horror movies, classics, NOT Meg Ryan (probably not Rob Schneider)....
Blacksploitation? Sugar Daddies the candy are kinda retro?
Jackie Brown? Definitely* not. Shaft? No.
Crap, it's almost 10!

And so, I left (running) for my rendez-vous with Patrick--he's French, so actually, that's Pa' trEEk (and very angry).
What to do? What to do? I know this, but how? Who was Baby? And who wanted her sugar? I cannot not answer correctly-- I would loose all credibility as a geek and... CHEAT! I could cheat. Oh yeah, I hate cheaters-- and if I cheated, then it would be OK for everyone else to cheat on my quote quizzes. Fuck.

Now, here's where providence kicks in...
I met up with Patrick at Denfert-Rochereau. We had made plans the day before to go to the Catacombs (some of you know where this is going)! And, I have pictures and tales (yesterday I went to Cimitère Père LaChaise, too) and will post on those later tonight, so check back. There we are, half crouched, trying to avoid drips of water from the leaking ceiling, and I get it. I cannot lie, I'd been thinking about it unceasingly since I left my room, and I was becoming very, very frustrated.
I am standing amidst piles upon piles of bones (an army, one might say), and I have my Jumpin' Jack Flash moment. You know, the one where Whoopi is at her computer after hours, trying to "sing with me and find the key." She gets pissed, gives up, and throws the songbook into the trash. She sighs, and then...EPIPHANY! "OOOOOOhhhhhhoooooo hhhhoooo!" *enters "B-Flat"* "You know I'm right, you know I'm right" *presses enter, and watches as the computer screen flashes in color and reveals a 1980's-style chat room*
And that was me: "OOOOOhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooo hhhhhhhoooooooo"

And so, Urban Cannibal, here is your answer:

Ash to Sheila. Army of Darknees or Evil Dead III

"You know I'm right! You know I'm right!"

Now, here is where I must humbly cede to my man-eating friend: I know (that's not true: I think I remember) that Evil-Ash also says it somewhere in the film, but it's been so long since I've seen it...


And that, kiddies, will be today's quote quiz (UC will not be eligible but will receive 10 pts for stumping me on this part):
If Evil Ash actually does say, "Gimme some sugar, baby"-- where in the film and to whom?
This one's worth 30 pts.








*In looking back on some of my old posts, I noticed I've spelled "Definitely" wrong several times (the Blogger spell check doesn't work with Safari and most of the time, I just don't care:). That's all. Just acknowledging that I, too, am capable of the occasional mistake.

8 Comments:

Blogger Serena said...

Yes, I am aware the "Definitely" is not the only word I've spelled wrong. Deal.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

I wil dele with youre speling erors, thay dont bothr me at alll.

I have seen that movie more times than I care to admit, but I can't place where that line happens...

These things drive me nuts.

5:03 PM  
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

I am defanitley pleased that I could get your Parisian Pantaloons in a knot ;) Somehow we’ve managed to collect a community here of pretty interesting folks…. Dear gawd, Cass’ avatar is quite a distraction, eh?

You know I'm a horror hound, dollface - surely you knew I'd have to pick a genre quote!

8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Army of Darkness Evil Ash says this to Sheila after he kidnaps her from Good Ash. His kiss turns her into an evil person. 2nd time is when Good Ash is telling the story to a clerk at the end of the film. Do I win? Are you impressed?

4:38 AM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Ha ha!
Blogging: a full-time job!

5:01 AM  
Blogger Sonja said...

"You look like a normal person, but really you're the angel of death"

I'm not usually fast enough with the movie quotes. And actually, normally I feel like you did about "Gimme sugar, baby!" - I know I've heard it, but doggone it if I can remember in which movie.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Serena said...

European, I love that movie, but her 80's hair can make it difficult to sit through.

SueAsian, I should have know it would be you to get that! I am so proud.

12:00 PM  
Blogger JgStephan said...

I usually don't like very much horror movies but Army of Darkness is great.

"Gimme some sugar, baby"
I am not sure but I think this is from the film "Gib dem Affen Zucker" with Adriano Celentano and Ornella Muti.

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home