Monday, September 19, 2005

The Blarney Stone: I kissed it.


Yesterday, I slept in until about noon. I am trying to rest up and fight this cold, but am currently losing. :(
I decided to go to Blarney Castle, kiss the Blarney stone and return to Cork for a some more site seeing. Except that after a only a few hours of walking around Blarney, I was exhausted, and had to return to the hostel to take a nap. I was awakened by a woman moving in (damn, no more room all to myself-- I hate sharing).

Blarney Castle was cool, but it was torrential down pour and very cold. Yeah! The grounds were so beautiful and electric green, with crazy looking trees, caves, druid rock type things, and very fun to explore, but don't forget your umbrella (or your flashlight-- for the caves and dungeons). The bus ride from Cork to Blarney was about 30 minutes, and round-trip cost 4.90 euros. Not bad, however, admission to the castle and grounds-- for a student-- cost 5 euros! I am still on the fence as to whether or not it's actually worth it. *shrug*
As I was walking to the castle, I met a girl from Germany (with an Irish accent-- of course), who was also headed to the castle. We hung out for the day and it was nice to have a buddy to walk around with. Her English is quite exceptional and we had a good time. After days of hanging out by myself, the company was a welcomed change.

While in Cork, I stayed at Sheila's Hostel. It is nice enough with internet, a mini cinema, a big communal kitchen, a sauna (?), and a lot of clean rooms. I stayed in a 4 bed dorm ensuite for which I was only paying 14 euro/night. It is close to the Cork city center, and near many other shops and restaurants. The front desk staff was welcoming and was able to get me set up with travel info., including bus timetables, maps, places of interest, ect. Sheila's is a great hostel; my only complaint is that the only laundry services available cost 6 euro. One can't do their own laundry (no public facilities and the bathroom sinks are too small), but must pay the staff to do it for you. There is one laundromat in town-- far, far away from Sheila's. Also, breakfast is not included with the price of your room.

Cork has a lot to offer in terms of restaurants. There are many fast food joints, a wide array of ethnic cuisine, and even cafeterias. One I rather liked was The Gingerbread House. It came highly recommended from a staff member at Sheila's and I would say it is the most rockin' cafeteria I've ever been in. The food is good, and comparable to most fast food. Everything from pizza to quiche, tarts and custards, to a traditional Irish breakfast for under 5 euro.

Overheard in Ireland:

old woman in front seat of bus: it has chicken and turkey in it.
bus driver: but it's meat. What is it: chicken or turkey?
old woman: both-- you put it in the microwave. I never cook anymore, I always use my microwave. 4 euro at Dunnes, not bad for chicken and turkey.
bus driver: but which is it? That is a whole piece of meat-- it can't be both?
old woman: it's chicken and turkey-- it's for the microwave.
old woman #2: I love my microwave, Shelley gave it to me.



20 pts. for film title:
"My little brother got his arm stuck in the microwave. So my mom had to take him to the hospital. My grandma dropped acid this morning, and she freaked out. She hijacked a busload of penguins. So it's sort of a family crisis."

This is one of my all time favorite movies. I will give you a hint: "I want my two dollars."

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think the quote's from Better off Dead...

10:24 PM  
Blogger Sonja said...

*sniff*
I never get your movie quotes... :(

1:37 AM  
Blogger exMI said...

I can remember the scene with the paperboy and the $2. Better off dead might be it but I can't be sure....

3:54 PM  
Blogger Serena said...

You have no idea how happy I am that you all know this quote (This is PURE snow)!
I love, love this movie!
20 pts. to Megan and 5 to exmi for identifying the scene ;)

9:14 PM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

Lovely post!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home