Friday, September 23, 2005

A Vacation From My Vacation

Tonight, I am in the town of Dingle, on the Dingle Pennisula, in County Kerry. I am taking a break. I am posting on all that has happened to me in the last few days (and that is quite a lot), so scroll down to read about each day's adventures.
I got here, today, after a very long and nauseating bus ride. I was exhausted from a night of drunkness and little sleep-- which I wasn't able to catch up on on the bus; it was completely packed and not at all comfortable. I arrived with no room reservations-- or even the name of a hostel or B&B, as I had planned to continue on to the tiny village of Dunquin for the night. Buses to Dunquin only run twice each week and only once each of those days-- neither of which is today. So, after my long, cramped bus ride, I was forced to carry my sack around town looking for a room. The tourist office was little help and it's the start of a weekend: not a lot of vacancies. Finally, I decided to walk into the 'luxury' hotel I kept passing. The idea of spending a large sum of money on a room for the night was becoming more and more appealing as my sack was becoming more and more heavy.
Now, I walked into that place looking like a nightmare; I was wearing dirty clothes, greasy hair, my sack and jacket covered in mud (it had been raining all day), and I was greeted with a giant, sincere smile and welcomed into their lobby. I am still unable to account for this. In the states, if I had walked into...well, most establishments looking like I did, I would have not been well received, let alone welcomed with open arms. But for the nicest hotel in the town to treat me like they did was amazing-- even before they knew whether or not I was seriously inquiring about the room.
I am paying 150 euros for one night. I have a soft, cushy double bed with several feather pillows, and ironed (!) linens*. There is a giant jacuzzi tub, which I have already put to use, in the bathroom I have all to myself. Should I feel the need, room service is available for a ridiculous amount of money, and the pub downstairs serves guests of the hotel complimentary drinks and reduced prices for desserts.
I am taking a luxury vacation from my backpacker's vacation. No hostel for me tonight, I just ate a 30 euros dinner-- which, not incredibly expensive, but when compared to the other meals I've had on this trip (the most expensive having been 11 euros), it was quite the feast (started off with a crab and avacado salad, had fish and chips as my entree, and apple crumble a la mode for dessert)! Tonight, I will return to my room (no roomies for me) as loudly as I would like, and take one more long, hot shower before getting into bed and...wait for it...WATCHING TV! That's right, kiddies, I have tv in my room, and while the only thing interesting that's on right now is Hurricane Rita coverage, this is the first time since May that I've watched tv.
This is the best vacation from a vacation ever!







*I love ironed linens

5 Comments:

Blogger Serena said...

Stay tuned for the last few days worth of posts, the hot cafe is about to close, so...
to be continued :)

9:54 PM  
Blogger Sonja said...

I've done the "watching TV in an expensive hotel on vacation from your vacation" thing. SO worth it. Enjoy!

2:05 AM  
Blogger Spinning Girl said...

oh, lovely.

4:39 AM  
Blogger UrbanCannibal said...

Dollface, I don't know quite what to say for once...

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funnily enough, I was in Ireland last week!
Sounds like you're having lots of fun! I sure did too : )

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home